HOW TUCKPOINTING WORKS
The surface of the mortar is what is exposed to rain, wind, freezing, thawing, and other weather-related traumas. Thus it is most susceptible to damage. With tuckpointing, we grind the outer layer of the mortar until we reach a stable point – usually about 3/8″ to 1/2″ in. After that, we fill in the gaps with new mortar that complements your bricks and the existing mortar lines. This restabilizes the brick and creates a waterproof joint that protects your home.
BENEFITS OF TUCKPOINTING
If you have existing mortar damage, there is no downside to tuckpointing. It is a minimal investment that will significantly extend the life of your brick. Here are some benefits to keep in mind:
- Keep Your Bricks Strong and Stable
- Provide a New Layer of Support for Your Existing Brickwork
- Update the Color and Appearance of Your Mortar (Or Keep It the Same Color)
- Prevent Water from Getting in between Your Bricks
- Improve Your Curb Appeal and Potentially Increase the Value of Your Home
- Refresh the Look of Your Masonry without a Complete Remodel
SIGNS YOU NEED TUCKPOINTING
If you have noticed cracks in your mortar, it’s time for tuckpointing. However, if the cracks are due to a structural issue, such as foundation shifting, you may need to resolve that before replacing your mortar. This ensures that your tuckpointing lasts, and it prevents future repairs down the road.
GET A FREE QUOTE FOR TUCKPOINTING AND OTHER BRICK REPAIR SERVICES
Still have questions about tuckpointing? No worries! Our friendly associates would be happy to assist you. We can arrange a free, no-obligation quote in person to determine what type of brick repair you need. Reach out to N&M Restoration at (248) 924-9798 to schedule your consultation.